This Ham and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole is a great way to use up any leftover holiday ham, to serve a large crowd, or for weekday meal prep. With simple ingredients, it cooks up in the oven for an easy and delicious gluten-free breakfast.
If you’re a fan of ham and love easy breakfast recipes, then this egg casserole is for you.
We love leftovers in our house, and I am always on the lookout for ways to turn them into other meals. An egg bake is a great way to do this.
With just nine ingredients, this easy breakfast casserole is simple to put together and the perfect way to feed the whole family a delicious breakfast. You can eat it on its own, or try it with some apple cinnamon muffins or a green smoothie recipe if you really want a complete meal.
It reheats easily for breakfast (or lunch) the next day, plus it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and low carb and can be made paleo and Whole30 compatible. But it’s not without plenty of flavor!
Ingredients for ham & broccoli breakfast casserole
- Ham (leftover works well!)
- Broccoli florets
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Olive Oil
- Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
Watch how to make this recipe here
I’ve written condensed directions here including pictures so you can see how to make this recipe. The full set of instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Before you scroll through, there is important information throughout this post.
How to make this ham and broccoli casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray or coat a 3 quarter (9×13) rectangular baking dish with olive oil.
- Cook the broccoli florets for 2-3 minutes in some boiling salted water in a large pot, then remove it with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Warm olive oil in the drained pot and add diced onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Set aside.
- Cut any trim off the ham and dice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the broccoli, cooked onion, and diced ham to the casserole dish in an even layer.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Add in the coconut milk, kosher salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper, stirring to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the diced ham and broccoli, until all are mostly covered.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until all the egg is set. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Topping ideas for this broccoli egg bake
- chopped green onions
- sliced avocado
- fresh chives
- red pepper flakes
- a dollop of sour cream (if not paleo/Whole30)
Can you freeze broccoli ham casserole?
I wouldn’t recommend it. Eggs tend to get a funny texture when frozen.
Can you prep this casserole the night before and bake it in the morning?
Yes, you can! Just assemble everything up until the casserole goes in the oven. Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking to let it come to room temperature, then remove the plastic wrap and bake as directed.
Can any leftovers be reheated in the microwave?
Yes, you can definitely reheat leftovers in the microwave! I would place a piece on a plate and reheat in 10 second increments as eggs tend to reheat fast in a microwave.
Recipe substitutions & changes
- Different meat. You can easily substitute another leftover meat or cook up some bacon or breakfast sausage to replace the ham in this recipe. Or if you don’t have leftover ham you can buy a cooked ham steak and use that.
- Different vegetable. If you don’t have broccoli on hand, cauliflower would work equally as well.
- Add cheese. If you’re not paleo or Whole30 then feel free to add 1 cup of shredded cheese to the egg mixture before adding it to the casserole dish. Some good options would be cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepperjack cheese, or even parmesan cheese.
- Replace the olive oil. You can use ghee or avocado oil instead, or if not paleo/Whole30 you can use cooking spray or butter.
- Different salt. This recipe calls for Diamond Crystal kosher salt, which is lighter than other types. See this article by Cooks Illustrated to understand the difference and how to swap out different types of salt.
Try these other gluten free breakfast ideas
- Leftover Breakfast Hash (GF, DF, Paleo, Whole30)
- Breakfast Quesadilla (GF w/ DF & Paleo option)
- Paleo Sausage Egg Casserole (GF, DF, Paleo, Whole30)
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (GF, DF)
- Tomato, Kale, & Goat Cheese Frittata (GF)
Recipes to go with this ham and egg breakfast casserole
- Easy Zucchini Muffins (GF)
- Eggnog Chai Latte (GF)
- Breakfast Yogurt Parfait (GF w/ DF option)
- Maple Pecan Banana Bread (GF)
- Spinach Avocado Smoothie (GF, DF, Paleo)
If you make end up making this Ham & Broccoli Breakfast Casserole, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below!
Shop This Post!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click on the image to be taken to the item!
Ham & Broccoli Breakfast Casserole (GF, DF, Low Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
- A 3 quart (9×13) rectangular baking dish
- Hot pads
- 2 small or 1 large head broccoli about 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb cooked ham watch ingredients to see if ham is paleo or Whole30 compatible
- 1 small onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp olive oil plus more for coating a dish
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 c full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray or coat a 3 quart (9×13) rectangular baking dish with olive oil.
- Place 4-6 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tbsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt once boiling, then add the broccoli florets and cook for 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the broccoli from the pot and set in a paper towel lined small bowl to drain. Dump the water out of the pot.
- Place olive oil in the same pot and warm over medium heat. Pour the diced onion in and stir it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour onion evenly over the broccoli in the casserole dish.
- Next dice the ham with a large sharp knife into roughly 1/4 inch cubes and spread evenly in the casserole dish over the onion and broccoli.
- Crack the eggs (white and yolk) into a large bowl and whisk them to combine. Pour the coconut milk, 1 tsp of Diamond Crystal kosher salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper in and stir until mixed. Pour egg mixture into the casserole dish and distribute as evenly as you can, moving the broccoli and diced ham pieces as needed until they're mostly covered.
- Put the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 mins (until all of the egg is set). Remove from the oven (be sure to use hot pads to handle the dish) and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.