This Spinach Avocado Smoothie is the perfect recipe to get your fruit and veggies in. Made with almond milk and banana, it’s a healthy addition to your breakfast or a perfect snack!
This smoothie recipe is a take on a smoothie I had on a summer trip to Winthrop, which is a small town in the upper middle part of Washington. The smoothie was made just outside of Winthrop in the neighboring town of Twisp and was sold at a natural grocery store that prides itself on selling whole, organic foods – Glover Street Market.
My whole family loved the smoothie so much I had to try recreating it. And I think I got pretty close.
What Makes This Spinach Avocado Smoothie So Great
- It’s super refreshing and not too sweet.
- It’s packed with lots of vitamins and minerals but still filling from the healthy fats.
- It only has 5 ingredients and is so easy to make!
This smoothie isn’t overly sweet and has lots of great qualities – vitamins and minerals in the fruit and veggies, healthy fats in the avocado and nut butter, and a great, kid-friendly taste.
Before we get to the recipe, here are answers to some common questions about spinach in smoothies.
Can You Put Raw Spinach in a Smoothie?
Yes, you can! It does not need to be cooked before you eat it.
Why is Spinach Good in Smoothies?
Raw spinach has a number of vitamins and minerals in it, however it can be difficult for some people to digest. By blending it in a smoothie, you’re essentially breaking it down before you consume it.
Can You Taste Spinach in Smoothies?
Spinach is a mild vegetable, and baby spinach is even more so. It is easily masked by the taste of fruit. You can’t taste the spinach in this recipe.
Now to the recipe details!
- The ingredients will be easier to blend if you chop them up a bit first into smaller pieces.
- Depending on the quality and speed of your blender, you may need to stop blending every so often to mix the ingredients up with a spoon or knife as sometimes items can get stuck (particularly the nut butter)
- Always make sure the lid is secure! Otherwise you’ll end up with a smoothie-covered kitchen. I like to put my hand on top of it to make sure.
- Use a different type of milk! Coconut milk or cashew milk work well if you’re paleo, or oat milk, soy milk, or dairy milk work well if you’re gluten free.
- Try a different type of nut butter! This recipe calls for cashew butter as it has a very mild taste, but you could use almond butter or sun butter if you’re paleo, or peanut butter if you’re not.
- Substitute out half of the baby spinach for another type of green, like baby kale or baby chard.
- This recipe calls for a refrigerated banana but you could use a fresh or frozen banana instead.
How To Make This Spinach Avocado Smoothie
Put the avocado, banana, spinach, and nut butter in the blender.
Pour the almond milk over everything.
You may need to chop the ingredients up a bit to make sure they blend well.
Put the lid on, then start blending. You may need to stop the blender every so often and stir the ingredients with a spoon or knife to make sure everything blends well.
Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Pin this Spinach Avocado Smoothie for Later!
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY RECIPES WITH VEGGIES, CHECK THESE OUT!
If you try this Spinach Avocado Smoothie recipe (or any other recipe) then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below!
YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM AND PINTEREST TO SEE MORE GOOD TO EAT, GLUTEN FREE FOOD.
Recipe for Spinach Avocado Smoothie
Spinach Avocado Smoothie
This Spinach Avocado Smoothie is the perfect recipe to get your fruit and veggies in. Made with almond milk and banana, it's a healthy addition to your breakfast or a perfect snack!
- 1 banana peeled and refrigerated
- 1/2 avocado peeled and pitted
- 2 cups baby spinach heaping cups
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 3/4 cup almond milk
A measuring spoon
A measuring cup
A utensil (like a spoon or knife)
Place the banana, avocado, spinach, and nut butter in the blender.
Measure the milk with a measuring cup and pour it over the other ingredients.
Place the lid on blender and blend on high until fully combined. You may need to use a utensil to stir around the ingredients as they may get caught (especially the nut butter).
Once everything is blended, pour into glasses and enjoy!