This Pomegranate Cocktail for the Holidays has just four ingredients – pomegranate juice, grapefruit juice, sparkling water, and gin. It has a fun sugared rim and a rosemary for garnish to put a little extra cheer in your glasses. Perfect for Christmas, New Years, or even Valentine’s Day.
This pomegranate cocktail looks fancy, but is so easy to make. The pink-tinted sugar rim gives it a little extra flair and the rosemary garnish bring in the holiday cheer.
How To Make The Pomegranate Sugar (for the Rim)
First you’ll want to make the pomegranate sugar. Just add the appropriate amounts of pomegranate juice and sugar on a plate and stir them together. You’ll want to make sure they’re evenly distributed then spread the mixture out in a thin layer to dry.
This will take 15 to 20 minutes, so feel free to take a short break before making the rest of the drinks as that will take maybe 5 minutes total. You can also make the sugar ahead of time and store it in a sealed container for up to a week.
Once the sugar is dry, you’ll want to get it on the rim of the drinking glasses. Fill a small bowl with water about a quarter of the way up, then wet the rims by dipping them in the water. Next roll the rims in the sugar so that it sticks. You may need to roll the glasses around several times.
How to Make the Pomegranate Cocktail
After you’ve got the sugar rim on your glasses, next up is mixing the drink. In a large container or pitcher, combine the sparkling water, pomegranate juice, grapefruit juice, and gin. Gently mix it together with a spoon and pour half in each glass.
Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and you’re good to go!
You can use fresh juice for this recipe, and in my opinion it does taste slightly better. However if you’re short on time just go for the already squeezed juice in a jug. I won’t tell anyone.
If you’re looking for more holiday recipes, check these out!
- Cranberry Orange Dark Chocolate Bark
- Gluten Free Poppyseed Pound Cake
- Gluten Free Trail Mix for the Holidays
- Eggnog Chai Latte
And in addition to these, don’t forget to check out this awesome roundup of 70(!) holiday side dishes to bring to your table this holiday season.
If you try out this Pomegranate Cocktail recipe (or any other recipe) then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below. Seriously, I love hearing from you!
Pomegranate Cocktail for the Holidays
For Sugar Rim
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1.5 cup sparkling water
- 1 shot gin can sub vodka
- 2 sprigs rosemary for garnish, if desired
- A measuring cup
- A small plate
- A spoon
- Two medium-sized glasses
- A small bowl
- A large container or pitcher
- A liquid measuring cup
- A shot glass
- Using the measuring cup, place half a cup of sugar on the small plate and pour half a teaspoon of pomegranate juice over it. Stir it around with a spoon until the pomegranate juice is full incorporated, then spread it out in a thin layer on the plate to dry out (for 15 to 20 minutes).
- Once the sugar mixture dries, take a small bowl and fill it about ¼ of the way with water.
- Take one of the glasses, turn it upside down, and dunk the rim in the water. Then, making sure the sugar mixture is in an even layer, dunk the rim of the glass in the sugar mixture. You may need to roll the glass around a bit if you like a thicker layer of sugar.
- In a large container or pitcher, pour in the sparkling water, pomegranate juice, and grapefruit juice. Measure out the gin with the shot glass and pour that in as well. Mix together gently with a spoon to combine.
- Pour half of the mixture in one glass and half in another. Garnish each glass with a sprig of rosemary if desired.